Friday, February 8, 2013

Reloading vs. buying ammo during Obama rule.

 Like everybody, I am not having the easiest time finding ammo for the AR-15 (.223), or for the .308
 I ordered a Dillon 650 multistage reloader, but it will not come for 8-12 weeks. Even then, reloading only saves money if you do not overspend on your supplies. I have been shopping for ammunition like crazy. Having a hard time finding it. And going crazy.
 Most of the .223 ammunition I have found is between .75 cents and $1 a round. On bulk ammo .com a thousand rounds was going for $905. At small gun stores I found boxes of twenty  for $15.95. At the gun show a box of 500 was going for $435 (and it was selling like crazy). People are showing up to the gun shows with handcarts hoping to find almost anything. (I saw people buying Wolf ammo for $10 a box). This is in the Willamette Valley in western Oregon.

  And then there is me. I am just as hungry for ammo as everyone else but I'll be damned if I am going to pay to the gougers just because they think they can profit from the needy. Don't get me wrong. I believe in supply and demand, but the ammunition manufacturers have not seemed to raise their prices to the dealers. Over the last four weeks I have only been able to get my hands on about 1700 rounds, but I have only paid .30-.40 cents a round.

  DILIGENCE and PERSEVERANCE.
  I have been calling box stores and gun stores and checking online. This is a pain in the ass for some, but it pays off. Today I got 100 rounds for 27.78
  Two days ago 160 rounds for 64.00
  The most I have paid for ammo in the last month and a half is $90 for 200 rounds at the NEW Tannerite store in Eugene.
  Places to check:
Wal-Mart
Bi-Mart
Big 5
Check the manufacturer websites.
  Anybody want to trade ammo for your concealed handgun class?


What other good ideas do you have?
Where is a good place to get ammo?


1 comment: